November 1, 2013
By Josephine Tay
3D workflow 4K 6G-SDI a/v connection AES/EBU analog analog audio Blackmagic Design broadcast capture color grading component composite Desktop Video 10 digital fast disk arrays HD HDMI 4K input io output Playback post-production s-video SD SDI Thunderbolt 2 ultra HD UltraStudio 4K video and audio connection
Beijing, China – October 30, 2013 – Blackmagic Design today announced a new model of UltraStudio 4K, the world’s first video solution to include super fast Thunderbolt 2 technology.
The award winning UltraStudio 4K, is an attractively designed rack mount capture and playback device based on Thunderbolt 2 technology developed by Intel®. It features a machined aluminum front panel with an integrated color LCD as well as fast to use video and audio input buttons, suitable for both desktop as well as rack mount use. The rear panel includes essential video and audio connections, including 6G-SDI, HDMI 4K, analog component/s-video/composite, as well as balanced analog and AES/EBU digital audio.
Now with the incredible 20 Gb/s speed of Thunderbolt 2, UltraStudio 4K has even more bandwidth to work with higher quality video and frame rates. Now users will be able to capture and playback Ultra HD 4K YUV video at 60 frames per second and Ultra HD 4K RGB video at 30 frames per second via the advanced 6G-SDI video connections. The Thunderbolt loop thru allows connection of up to 6 devices, so users can connect fast disk arrays for massive amounts of video storage with a single Thunderbolt connection to their computer.
UltraStudio 4K handles virtually every television format, featuring 6G-SDI connections that instantly switch between SD, HD, Ultra HD and 4K making it the ideal solution for all post production and broadcast users when working on design, editing, paint, color correction and visual effects tasks. UltraStudio 4K is also perfect for 3D workflow as it features both interleaved/side by side and dual stream capture and playback. Interleaved 3D allows the left and right eye to be interleaved as fields into a single video connection and file, so users can edit using current editing software.
UltraStudio 4K users will be able to take advantage of the forthcoming Desktop Video 10 release. The new Desktop Video 10 driver architecture is a major new software update designed from the ground up to be optimized for high speed computers and the new emerging Ultra HD television formats that require massive data speeds. DaVinci Resolve 10 users will benefit from the simultaneous capture and playback support that lets them capture direct from cameras on set and grade the live video with multiple nodes of color correction for live onset monitoring. This makes lighting a film set easy and allows DOP’s, directors and colorists to work together to optimize the film’s look on set.
UltraStudio 4K Key Features
• Dual Link 6G-SDI compatible with SD, HD-SDI and 3G-SDI, to support SD, HD, Ultra HD up to 60p and 4K.
• Compatible with Mac OS X computers with Thunderbolt™ 2 and Thunderbolt.
• SDI inputs include full SDI re-clocking for capture from poor quality SDI sources.
• HDMI in and out, supports SD and HD formats up to 1080p60, frame packing 3D, Ultra HD and 4K.
• Component analog in and out.
• Component analog switches to s-video and composite.
• 2 channel balanced analog audio in and out. Additional RCA HiFi audio in.
• 2 channel AES/EBU unbalanced audio in and out.
• Timecode in and out on XLR connectors
• Genlock/tri-sync input.
• Sony™ compatible RS-422 deck control.
• Supports uncompressed 8/10 bit and compressed video capture and playback.
• Supports Ultra HD and 4K capture and playback using new Dual Link 6G-SDI or Dual Link 3G-SDI connections and HDMI.
• Capture/playback of side by side, line by line, top and bottom and frame packing 3D via HDMI.
• Capture/playback of side by side, line by line, top and bottom and dual stream 3D via SDI.
• Includes hardware up down and cross conversion on playback.
• Includes hardware SD and HD keying.
• Supports Final Cut Pro X , Avid Media Composer 7® Adobe® Premiere® Pro CC6, Adobe® Photoshop® CC6, Adobe ® After Effects® CC6 , DaVinci Resolve and more.
• Includes free developer SDK.
• Supports free DaVinci Resolve Lite software